Sunday, June 16, 2013

Hello from Durango!


Hola from Durango, Mexico!! Running Frida is on vacations! every fathers day I come to Durango to visit my dad’s resting place and my parents home town Ojo de agua San Juan its a small town about 40 minutes from the city.  When my dad passed away 3 years ago he wanted to be buried next to his parents and brother and we granted his wish.  I decided I would come every fathers day and visit him. I don’t have much time during the year to come to San Juan its a 24 hour bus ride from phoenix and with all the training and work its hard to take time during the school year but I have plenty of time during the summer so every fathers day I will come and visit my father and family. This town has a very special place in my life. I grew up coming to this small town every summer, the most happy moments of my childhood are from my summers I spent in San Juan with my sisters and cousins. I LOVE coming to Durango the weather is perfect, raining season starts the second week of June and the evenings are perfect for going on a runs, swims and bike rides.


 So far on my vacations Ive gone on three runs one with my awesome niece (she’s a runner too) we ran to my dad’s grave which is two towns away from San Juan its around 4.66 mile run. Our first run was on the morning of fathers day, It was a slow run, it was hilly and muddy. It rain the night before so their was a lot of puddles that we had to go around.
 

After our run we came home and got ready to go visit my dad a second time, but this time my mom, nephews and cousins came with us.  In the afternoon we celebrated fathers day and my Tio Juan 84th birthday (my grandma younger brother) Spending time with the family is very important to me I like catching up with everyone and talking about our childhood memories and other anecdotes.

My Abuelita Julianita and Tio Juan saying hi, after 2 years of not seeing each other.  We are planing a family reunion for this coming Sunday their two younger sisters are coming to San Juan my Tia Margarita from Leon Guanajuato and my Tia Bacelisa from Houston Texas that should be fun.

Frida Kahlo is my favorite artist and I take on the name running Frida after her. I decided if I plan on keeping this nickname I need to take on this name with seriously so I plan on doing something creative each day I'm here. It could be a entry on my blog, painting, collage on my smash book, drawing, cooking, story telling anything with a creative outlet.

Its only been 5 days Im here and it feels Ive done a lot, the days pass by really fast when you are having fun! hope everyone is having a great summer like me!! 



No comments :

Post a Comment