Sunday, June 30, 2013

My Durango



Growing up my parents would send us to Durango every summer to spend it with my grandparents in San Juan and I'm glad they did because I developed a love for this state and not only that, It's where my family comes from I have two homes Phx and Durango.  For the past 30 years Ive been coming to this wonderful state of Mexico but never really took the time to explore the city.  This year with the company of my partner in crime my niece Leslie God daughter/almost my daughter  we decided to tour the city of Durango and visit it's many museums.  The city is full of history art and colonial architecture.

our tour guide

on the bus to our first stop
Our first stop was at a new museum dedicated to Jose Doroteo Arango Arabula or best know has Francisco "Pancho" Villa.  He was one of the most prominent Mexican Revolutionary general and was the commander of the Division del Norte (Division of the North).  He fought alongside Emiliano Zapata during the Mexico revolution. He retired in 1920 but later on decided to re-involved him self in Mexican politics and as a result was assassinated, most likely on the orders of Obregon Mexico's then President.  This museum is in dedication to Pancho Villa and the states 450 year anniversary



A little history about Durango.  Durango is the fourth largest state in Mexico. The name Durango is Basque in origin and means "Fertile lowland bathed by rivers surrounded by elevations or mountains." The state of Durango was first colonized in 1562 by Francisco de Ibarra. Early European Settlers met strong resistance from the native population, but the wealth of mineral resources and grazing lands continue to attract colonist. The region which is made up of modern-day Durango and the state of Chihuahua was know as Nueva Viscaya, with the city of Durango acting as the capital for this colonial province."   
 
 











The museum used to be a government building and its cover with fresco murals, with images of the revolution ans the states riches. I enjoy learning about Mexico history and art and culture.  If I could get a masters degree in Mexican History I would. I just have a passion for Mexico and just want to experience and visit has many places as I can.



On our two day tour of the city we visited five different museums 
Museo de las Culturas Populares
Museo de Arqueologia
Museo de Arte Contemporaneo 
Museo de Arte Moderno
Casa de la Cultura Banamex

I didn't realize that Durango was so rich of history and art.  I feel I know my state a little better. We saw many pieces of art my favorite mediums are printmaking and painting.  This summer I was determined to start working on my art.  I haven't worked on my art for many months for the most part because I am always training for something.  I will make a very big effort to dedicate more time on my creativity.  The following are paintings that i most enjoyed.

 


Going from museum to museum is my thing, Art is not only my career but my passion. This past two days where awesome specially cause I got to spend them with one of my favorite little girls in the world my niece Leslie.

No comments :

Post a Comment