Thursday, June 6, 2013

My First Marathon


The first time I decided to train for a full marathon was October of 2011after one of the toughest half marathon I’ve ever ran the Nike Women Marathon in San Francisco. Two weeks into my training I was doing a 15 mile run and at around mile 10 my knee started to hurt.  It was a pain I never felt before I had to stop. I knew something was not right, but the voice inside my head did not let me stop. I kept running, I wanted to finish what I started. after a month of rest and not being able to run I seek professional help. I had irritated my IT band and needed physical therapy. I wasn't able to run the full marathon.  My first marathon has been long over due.

I train for 3 months put in many ours on the road and after waiting for 2 years the day finally came. I've been so nervous that it been affecting my sleeping and saturday night was no different. I never felt this way before any race not even Leadman triathlon (1.5m swim, 60m ride and 8m run). My friends pick me up from my hotel and dropped us off at the start line. I was lucky enough to been able to train with my friend Vanessa it was her first marathon also. The weather was perfect for a long run and my nerves when away as soon has I crossed the start line. 








It was the perfect race! I put in the hard work and it paid off. the course was challenging but I enjoyed the course, a business on the course had some Vicente Fernandez music (my dads favorite artist), saw funny customs, mariachi music in old town. I started strong I average 9:30 min miles for the first 12 miles then I decided to slow down a little with the fear that I would hit a wall, but that wall never came. Starting this race I had one goal to finish under 5 hours but deep in my heart I was hopping for a better time of 4:30. I didn't want to let myself down if it didn't happen. I was surprise to how good I was feeling and how fast I was going so I pushed it I knew I had it in me to finish close to 4:30. Not only did I finish in 4:27 but i made a new personal record for my half marathon time 2:07. With each race I learn a little more about me and what I want in life. I also see how much more stronger I am that what i think i am and how much more I can push myself during training. With a marathon under my belt I feel a little step closer to Ironman! thank you to my family for coming down to San Diego and experience this with me, honestly i couldn't of done it with out you guys, specially my mom for babying me with my special food request. To all my friends for your support and cheering on. I am no longer a runner I am Marathoner. 




up coming races
July 7th Gatorade 2nd Annual 15K Mexico City 
August 11 Mountain Man olympic
September 21 Lifetime Tempe Triathlon Olympic 

October 20 SOMA half Ironman
November 3 Women’s Running Series Half marathon (team Running Frida’s) 
November 16 Undy 5000 (team Botas de Charro)
November 17 Volunteer Ironman
December 8 Divas half marathon

January 19 Rock and Roll AZ full marathon


Stay tune for The Running Frida’s running group......... 

No comments :

Post a Comment