Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Today was Mole Day


Happy 85th Birthday to my abuelita Julianita! When we where kids my parents would send us in the summer to spend it with her.  We would come and spend weeks with her and not only me and my sisters would come but others cousins from Phoenix and Durango. She would cook, clean and wash clothes for all of us and let me tell you back in the day their was no TV to keep us entertain in the house we would go swimming 2 times a day! she had a lot of work with us spending the summer with her. To celebrate her birthday her choice of meal was mole! my favorite!



All my tias are great cooks they take it from my grandma, my Tia Chuya (the one with the red tshirt) made the mole.  Ive always wanted to learn how to make it, so here is the recipe of traditional Mexican Mole, Durango version cause theirs a lot of different styles of Mole
Ingredients:
Chicken, Red Chilly (dry), Raisins, Peanuts, Chocolate Abuelita, Ajonjoli, Clavos, Garlic, Almonds, Sugar, Salt and whole cinnamon 



Step 1: Boil chicken with onion and garlic, after the chicken it boil deshebrar (to unpick) the chicken

Step 2: Clean the chilly by taking out all the seeds from the inside and save half of the seeds for later, then remojar (soak) red chilly in hot water for about 20 minutes
  
Step 3: blend chilly, raisins, peanuts (we didn’t have peanuts we substituted it with peanut butter) chocolate abuelita, anjojoli, cloves, cinnamon, garlic, almonds, sugar and salt

Their is a different option for this step.  My aunt said it tastes better but its a little bit more greasy.  you can fry the peanuts, almonds, anjojoli and raisins, then blend with the remaining ingredients.
Step 4: strain chilly and heat until it boils
Step 5 add chicken and let it sit and boil for about 5 minutes


for a side we usually make rice the combination is perfect. Sweet mole is one of my favorite dishes my mom always makes it for my birthday I will eat it for breakfast lunch and dinner for a couple of days and I don't get tired of it!!! this was my 3rd plate of mole and rice for dinner. Maybe before I go back home I will attempt in making some mole.


training is going great, I just been swimming and running. I haven't attempted using my mountain bike to go on a ride. I'm used to my rode bike that is light weight and this bike feels so heavy I'm afraid of taking it out, but i need to go on a couple of rides Mountain Man Olympic triathlon is August I need to be ready. 
the view on my walk home from my swim, some of you might not know but im a fanatic of astronomy I wanted to be an astronaut :) on June 23 theirs going to be a supermoon check it out!













No comments :

Post a Comment